Leesona Winder for Braider Bobbins

Talk about braiding and braiding machines.

Leesona Winder for Braider Bobbins

Postby ucbamboorodmaker » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:58 pm

I thought about making a winder to fill the bobbins for the New England Butt Braider, but decided to go ahead and purchase a Leesona winder like would have been used at the Gudebrod factory. Here are some photos of the machine. Like the braider it's not really all the complicated.

Leesona Front S.jpg
Leesona Front S.jpg (204.25 KiB) Viewed 1384 times

There are some numbers on the back of the machine, and I think they mean that it is a model 50 made in Jan 73.
Leesona Back S.jpg
Leesona Back S.jpg (200.64 KiB) Viewed 1384 times

There is a traverse wheel ( I have the covers off) that moves the thread back and forth so that each layer is a single thread. That prevents the thread from getting tangled, and allows it to come off the bobbin smoothly.

Covers Off S.jpg
Covers Off S.jpg (201.66 KiB) Viewed 1384 times

This machine was set up to fill a paper tube so some adjustment and a new spindle to hold the bobbin was neccessary.

Spindle S.jpg
Spindle S.jpg (164.05 KiB) Viewed 1384 times

I have to admit that Eclecticguy kind of led me to get the winder. I saw some photos of his, and once again just couldn't resist.

Floyd

Back to add a couple more photos. This is a photo of the tube spindle and the one I made to hold the bobbin. It was a straight forward project with a piece of 3/4 brass bar that I had left over.

Bobbin spindle s.jpg
Bobbin spindle s.jpg (152.24 KiB) Viewed 1377 times

And here shown with some thread wound on the bobbin. I just used some old black thread so it would show up on the white bobbin. You can see the cross hatch pattern of the thread.

bobbin s.JPG

Floyd
Last edited by ucbamboorodmaker on Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ucbamboorodmaker

Re: Leesona Winder for Braider Bobbins

Postby eclecticguy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:18 pm

Great post Floyd. Did your Leesona have a shorter cam on it to match the length of the bobbins? It seems like it must (or maybe you bought a replacement)?

What are you using as a tensioner?

cheers,
Michael
My blog: www.EclecticGuy.com
The Reelsmith's Primer, reelsmithing materials, reels, lines and other items: www.EclecticAngler.com
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Postby ucbamboorodmaker » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:19 pm

Ahhhh! Treverse. Now that's an interesting subject. When I first started the purchase of the Leesona one of the things that I stressed was that the bobbins were 4 1/4 inches where the thread is and that the traverse needed to match them. A traverse cam/wheel of around 4" would seem to be about right. So when I unpacked the winder and measured the length of the guide it came out to 5 3/8 inches. I pulled the covers and found that the cam was 5".

traverse wheel S.jpg
traverse wheel S.jpg (199.28 KiB) Viewed 1343 times

Needless to say I was a bit discouraged at this point, and thinking it was back to the parts store to make this thing work. However when I started playing with the machine I realized that as the arm was moved farther away from the spool the traverse decreased, and on the back side of the guide it had a lot of adjustments. I began to play with these. Marking there original position and them moving them. The screw on the back of the traverse plate also had several positions. After some playing with it I was able to get the traverse to drop from the original 5 3/8 inches down to where I have it now at 4 inches. Sometimes I think I just get lucky. It seems that this being a newer model has quite a few adjustments available so that you have a larger range for the traverse. Making it not neccessary to replace the traverse cam in this case.

Here is a general view of the back of the traverse arm. You can see where some of the adjustment is possible.

Traverse Adjustment S.jpg
Traverse Adjustment S.jpg (185.75 KiB) Viewed 1343 times

Floyd
ucbamboorodmaker

Postby ucbamboorodmaker » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:31 pm

Once I got past the traverse width I started looking at the tensioner. Below the two tensioning plates there is a hole for a bushing. In this case the bushing was missing and it would have simply destroyed any thread passing through the hole.

Bottom Guide S.jpg
Bottom Guide S.jpg (152.7 KiB) Viewed 1325 times

So I scratched my head a bit and dug up a bag of old Fugi guides that's been laying around forever.

fuji guide s.jpg
fuji guide s.jpg (146.09 KiB) Viewed 1325 times

Three of the Fuji's stacked one on top the other filled up the hole from top to bottom. Now the thread is protected.

fuji tensioner guide s.jpg
fuji tensioner guide s.jpg (162.15 KiB) Viewed 1325 times

The actual tensioning is done by two plates that open and close. Here they are open and you can see the black thread.

tension plate open s.jpg
tension plate open s.jpg (193.46 KiB) Viewed 1325 times

Here the plates are closed and the thread is fed between them. You can also see the black thread in the photo.

tension plate closed s.jpg
tension plate closed s.jpg (180.79 KiB) Viewed 1325 times

There are two arms behind the tensioner that have graduations on them. One has a weight, but the other one which is the one that moves when opening and closing doesn't. I don't know if the weight is missing or not but the tension was almost non existant.

tensioner no weight s.jpg
tensioner no weight s.jpg (198.7 KiB) Viewed 1325 times

I thought about making some type of weight to slide on the arm, but instead applied a little southern engineering in the way of a rubber band. Shorter rubber band more tension; longer rubber band less. Simple enough for me.

rubber band tension S.jpg
rubber band tension S.jpg (198.54 KiB) Viewed 1325 times

Note the position of the arm once the rubber band was applied.

I have been intending to post a couple more photos and comments so here they are. Once I got the machine cleaned up I needed a belt so I used an old leather belt (Calvin Klein) and made one. I read on one of the other posts by Eclecticguy to run the belt smooth side in so that's what I did.

calvin belt s.jpg
calvin belt s.jpg (154.63 KiB) Viewed 946 times

The winder didn't need much power to run it. It's very smooth and runs quite freely so I thought I would try an old sewing machine motor that I had, and it works well. I was even able to use the belt, on/off switch, and foot pedal from the sewing machine. Actually I bought the sewing machine for parts to fix my wifes, and the motor setup was left over from that. Got it at a thrift store for 10 bucks. How can you beat that.

sewing motor setup.jpg
sewing motor setup.jpg (197.32 KiB) Viewed 946 times

The other thing I added was a counting wheel that runs on the top pulley. Ten clicks on the counter is 22 1/2 inches of thread. My first line I loaded 1000 clicks on the bobbins. That produced 104 feet of line. I cut that in half for my second line since I didn't need that much length in a 4wt.

counter 10 click s.jpg
counter 10 click s.jpg (143.17 KiB) Viewed 946 times

Here is a shot of the counter from the back. It shows the sewing machine belt also. I have another style click counter that I've been thinking about switching to so I'll post that one if I get around to changing it out.

rear view belt & counter.jpg
rear view belt & counter.jpg (194.26 KiB) Viewed 946 times

Floyd
ucbamboorodmaker

Return to Braiding Leaders and Lines