Orvis 1874 Replacement Handle

Post photos and descriptions of any reel repair or modifications you've done here.

Orvis 1874 Replacement Handle

Postby eclecticguy » Thu May 10, 2012 9:15 am

Last year I found a great Orvis 1874 reel in its walnut box. It has an unfilled foot and overall excellent condition, but it was missing its handle. Then, earlier this year a customer contacted me with the same ailment with his Orvis 1874. That was just the motivation I needed to repair both reels.

Here is the customer's "before" photo:

and my "after" photo:

and a closeup of the replacement handle:

The crank arm was made from a piece of hand filed brass. The grasp turned from a rod of old stock hard rubber:

The spindle is steel and was shaped to match the original (I borrowed an original handle from a friend to use as a model). Once assembled, it was nickel plated and gently distressed to match the look and age of the original.

Interestingly, of the four Orvis 1874 reels I have in my shop at the moment, 1 of them has a standard 8-32 threaded spindle. Mine and this customer's reels have 11/64-32 threads, and the other has what appears to be an 8-1/2-32 thread. I was able to find a set of old taps and dies that included the 11/64-32 (but not the 8-1/2-32). I suspect the 11/64-32 is older, that would have been common in the 1870s, and the 8-32 later in production when the original taps and dies wore out.

cheers,
Michael
My blog: www.EclecticGuy.com
The Reelsmith's Primer, reelsmithing materials, reels, lines and other items: www.EclecticAngler.com
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Re: Orvis 1874 Replacement Handle

Postby dave49 » Fri May 11, 2012 6:43 am

Michael,
This is good work.
Please advise,
1. What is the torque connection of the crank to the reel shaft?
2. Do you have a source for (new) hard rubber? (Perhaps pen blanks.)
3. If you are familiar with Durometer ratings, what rubber hardness is desireable for this application?
Dave
dave49

Postby eclecticguy » Fri May 11, 2012 8:16 am

Hi Dave,

1. the crank is threaded on the spindle/reel shaft with a standard right hand thread. That does mean the reel is only suitable for right hand retrieve though. This is how Orvis did it.
  2. American Plastic Art is a good source for small quantities of pen blanks. If you need sheets, let's talk! There are a few places, SEM in Germany, Holbourne Industrial Plastics in the UK, and JPY in Japan.
  3. I am familiar with Durometer ratings. I've not found any info on hard rubber but maybe the above manufacturers could answer if you emailed them. Couldn't find any info on their web sites. I will say, this material is very hard and turns and works beautifully - but it stinks to high heaven!

Cheers,
Michael
The Reelsmith's Primer, reelsmithing materials, reels, lines and other items: www.EclecticAngler.com
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Postby roycestearns » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:55 pm

Michael,
This is such a great resource. I'm repairing two of these and knew right where to come.

I think these first editions had a propensity to losing the handle. Imagine the line running out with a fish and you bumped that handle trying to get control of the line... and before you can react the handle is loose and in the water!

The third generation of these reels in NS was a much improved design, however the handle issue still existed.

I've also found there is a difference in thread pitch on these reels. Is there any chance the thread pitch change was intended to jam the handle a bit ?

How did all the feet get mangled on these?

I have one handle in the group that appears to have a wooden knob ... have you seen any of these?

Finally on the third generation the clicker set up is different. The clicker gear has come loose, I wonder if they were originally pressed on and what I'm seeing in the picture is a previous attempt to fix with epoxy and not solder? Thoughts?

roycestearns

Postby eclecticguy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:29 pm

Hey Royce, I wondered about the thread pitch being used as "loctite" myself. I've heard that this was a technique used in the 19th century.

The feet were often cut short to use on more modern rods. A wooden knob is likely a replacement, I've handled at least 100 of these reels and they all have hard rubber grasps. Yes, the 3rd gen clickers were pressed on. The photo is not showing, could you email it to me or repost?

cheers,
Michael
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Return to Repairs and Modifications