MARTIN 67SS Foot plate....

Share ideas and tips with other reelsmiths.

MARTIN 67SS Foot plate....

Postby REEL2FOOT » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:12 pm

Any hints..or referencing as to how to grind down the 67SS foot plate making the reel more "fitable" for a couple of my more modern bamboo rods? (...as per fitting-Winston reel seat) Or is there an after market Martin 67SS reel foot that may be purchased?
Any assistance is appreciated. :D
REEL2FOOT

Re: MARTIN 67SS Foot plate....

Postby eclecticguy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:12 am

A photo would be good.

However, I DO NOT advocate using a grinder. You can do too much damage quickly. Use a fine 8" or 10" file. It's easy and gives you time to think and correct before irreplaceable damage is done. Make sure to clamp the foot or entire reel securely though. The #1 reason folks have problems hand filing is because they don't have the workpiece clamped securely.

cheers,
Michael
My blog: www.EclecticGuy.com
The Reelsmith's Primer, reelsmithing materials, reels, lines and other items: www.EclecticAngler.com
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Postby REEL2FOOT » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:57 am

MICHAEL...
This is truly helpful...
I can assume this is the way to go with older reel foots on an older reel such as
this. File only...I'd feel better doing it this way as opposed to a quick "grind."
I also have a Pflueger Medalist with the same problem, per sa.
I just can't justify with my credit card to order a reel foot to fit- I'm really just tinkering with a few reels I've picked up. Fixin'/cleaning, etc. It's fun. I'll be sure to keep you up to date.

Thanx :)
REEL2FOOT

Postby eclecticguy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:00 am

There used to be an option for Medalist reels - OnePFoot feet. Google them. I know the owner had some medical issues a few years ago but I heard he sold the business.

But for common reels (NEVER file the foot on a rare collectable) the file is an easy approach.

cheers,
Michael
My blog: www.EclecticGuy.com
The Reelsmith's Primer, reelsmithing materials, reels, lines and other items: www.EclecticAngler.com
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Return to Ideas & Tips