Recent Spam Posts

Use this forum to make suggestions to improve the site or to learn about some of the features here.

Recent Spam Posts

Postby eclecticguy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:22 am

In the las week we've had 2 users register and post spam posts on the forum. Firstly, I want to assure you that this is not "hacking". These users are creating a legitimate user ID and login and going through the registration process and then posting "spam" messages. Currently, we allow users to register automatically but they receive an activation email that they must click on a link before being able to log in. So these current spammers must:

1) click the register link
2) fill in all the required fields, including the captcha (that hard to read graphic pass phrase) and answer several questions that require human intervention.
3) wait for an activation email and then click on the link to activate their account
4) manually log in to the forum

It is unbelievable that someone would actually waste their time doing this on a forum that has 300ish members but they are. I am going to tweak the registration process and if this happens again, will change over to requiring an administrator approval for all new registrations. That will completely eliminate these sorts of spams.

regards,
Michael
My blog: www.EclecticGuy.com
The Reelsmith's Primer, reelsmithing materials, reels, lines and other items: www.EclecticAngler.com
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Re: Recent Spam Posts

Postby eclecticguy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:26 am

Well, that makes 3 times in just a few weeks. Apparently coming from China, someone registers and posts multiple messages about clothing. I have now enabled the feature that requires me (the admin) to manually accept user registrations. Sorry for the inconvenience to new subscribers and to the current members for the spam posts.

regards,
Michael
My blog: www.EclecticGuy.com
The Reelsmith's Primer, reelsmithing materials, reels, lines and other items: www.EclecticAngler.com
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Return to Site Information and Suggestions