CNC a milling machine

Discuss tools and how to use them here.

CNC a milling machine

Postby RJD » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:43 pm

I am entertaining the idea of doing a CNC conversion of my G0759 (G0704 with a 3 axis DRO), but considering either machining the parts based on plans by Hoss or purchasing a kit. The two kits being considered are from bdtools and Arizonavideo, respectively. If I am not mistaken, Michael utilized plans from Hoss to convert his GO704. If so, how difficult and time consuming was it to machine the parts? I have limited experience on a mill, so not interested in taking on a project that is beyond my beginner status. Also, how informative are the plans in-terms of providing additional instruction beyond CAD drawings of parts? Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grizzly-G0704-M ... 4190782de1

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.co ... ballscrews

Ron
RJD

Re: CNC a milling machine

Postby eclecticguy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:30 am

Hi Ron, yes I used Hoss Phase 2 for my G0704 conversion. If you have machining experience it was not difficult at all. You can check my thread on the CNCZone for more details. I actually started with a simple Phase 1 conversion (uses the stock screws) so I could use CNC to machine the Phase 2 parts. That worked well. Hosts work is very well detailed with photos and videos. There is some text and he is always available to answer questions.

That said, I used bdtools kit to convert my G0602 lathe. The kit is very nicely made and went right together. I would likely use a kit if I was converting a G0704 today, when I did none existed. The bdtools kit for the G0704 also gets very high marks and he is very easy to work with.

It really comes down to time and money. If you want to get into a CNC machine without a lot of time commitment, the kits are a great way to go.

cheers,
Michael
My blog: www.EclecticGuy.com
The Reelsmith's Primer, reelsmithing materials, reels, lines and other items: www.EclecticAngler.com
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Postby WayneP » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:05 pm

Hi Michael

As you know...I'm pondering the same route. How long did it take from buying your G0704 to getting it to produce parts?

Wayne
WayneP

Postby eclecticguy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:10 pm

Well, I made all the motor mounts, etc myself so it took a little longer. I think with one of the kits (the Arizonvideo kit looks excellent and at a great price) you could be up and running in 2 days. It only took 1 day with my little X2 mill with a kit.

cheers,
Michael
My blog: www.EclecticGuy.com
The Reelsmith's Primer, reelsmithing materials, reels, lines and other items: www.EclecticAngler.com
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Return to Tools & Techniques