Milling machine/lathe

Discuss tools and how to use them here.

Milling machine/lathe

Postby RJD » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:05 pm

I posted almost 2 years ago about purchasing a milling machine. However, other obligations prevented me from pulling the trigger. I was and still am interested in the G0704 from Grizzly. However, they are now offering the G0704 as a G0759 that includes a DRO. Is anyone familiar with the quality of the DRO included with the new G0759? Would you recommend purchasing the G0759 or buy the G0704 and a separate DRO? If so, which DRO would you suggest? I may CNC the mill in the future.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mill-Dr ... -DRO/G0759

I am also looking at upgrading my 7 x 12 lathe to a 10 x 22. Do you think the variable speed of the G0752 is worth the extra money over the G0602? Thanks.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-x-22 ... athe/G0602
http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-x-22 ... athe/G0752

Ron
RJD

Re: Milling machine/lathe

Postby eclecticguy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:07 pm

I have a G0704 that I converted to CNC and LOVE it! I used Hoss' conversion plans - from the CNCZone forum. I don't know about the DRO but it is probably pretty good. However, if you convert to CNC you wouldn't be using it.

I also have the G0602 and wish it had variable speed. I am considering upgrading to an AC variable speed setup on it. I would go with the G0752. I wish they had that when I got mine!
My blog: www.EclecticGuy.com
The Reelsmith's Primer, reelsmithing materials, reels, lines and other items: www.EclecticAngler.com
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Postby RJD » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:18 pm

Hello Michael,

I am planning on ordering the G0704 mill and G0752 this week. Grizzly lists the mill coming in a wood crate weighing 295lbs. and the stand in a cardboard box weighing 77 lbs.. The lathe comes in a wood crate weighing 453lbs. I will certainly be opting for liftgate service. Since you have experience with handling the items, I would appreciate your input. My garage (destination for the items) is approximately 50' from the street and my driveway is cement and level. However, I don't have anything special like a pallet jack to move the items. So out of curiosity, I requested a quote from the freight company to move the items into the garage figuring it shouldn't cost to much. They want a ridiculous $280 extra. Any suggestions on moving the items? Thanks.

Ron
RJD

Postby eclecticguy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:18 pm

You are lucky! I had to move my machines down an outside bulkhead to my shop. They are HEAVY! I used a furniture dolly that I picked up at Harbor Freight. It had large tires and worked great. I think it was like $50. My lathe was delivered in Jan right after an ice storm so my driveway was a mess but the UPS truck was one of those small ones so he backed up to my garage: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop- ... post878923

That thread has info on how I moved both the lathe and mill.

Cheers,
Michael
The Reelsmith's Primer, reelsmithing materials, reels, lines and other items: www.EclecticAngler.com
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Postby RJD » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:23 pm

Grizzly had a 10% promotion, so I ordered the G0759 (G0704 with a 3-axis DRO installed) last Friday. I decided not to upgrade my lathe at this time. However, they sent me an email stating the mill was out of stock until approximately May 23rd. This will give me some time to purchase accessories. I am considering buying a 4" vise from Glacern, Tormach quick change toolholders, 6" rotary table, etc. What would you suggest in terms of the ideal vise size (4" or 5")? Also, you have a 4" rotary table form Phase II. Have you been satisfied with it?
RJD

Postby eclecticguy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:05 am

The Tormach quick change system is great, you'll enjoy that. Either a 4 or 5" vise is fine. The Glacern is a nice 4" vise you can't go wrong with. The Phase II 4" rotary is nice. I had a cheap knock-off that I took a loss on and replaced with the Phase II.

One thing on the Tormach - for small bits and drills (< .25"D) an ER16 collet system is really nice. I have, over the last 2 years, purchased 20 after-market ER16 collets that work with Tormach. There is a company on eBay that sells them and they now have the groove for an auto tool changer.

cheers,
Michael
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Return to Tools & Techniques