Drill holes

Discuss tools and how to use them here.

Drill holes

Postby mieser_12 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:53 am

hi to everyone....

so i have a question to you:

on my latest reel-project i turned the spool an my mini lathe....and drilled the holes mith my milling machine.

now i have sharp drilling edges on the inner site of the spool plates. what would be the best and easiest way to curve the inner drilling holes, without scrating the spool-plates( like using sandpaper or mini-files)???

thanks for your help

maik
Attachments
545587_434058503335736_1337578434_n.jpg
545587_434058503335736_1337578434_n.jpg (82.32 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
mieser_12

Re: Drill holes

Postby dave49 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:09 am

Maik,
It is of course best to not raise the burr in the first place. I find that if I make such holes by plunging a milling cutter, the burr is much less than if drilled. The milling cutter has to be designed for center cutting, which is the case for all the 2 and 3 flute cutters that I have seen. I finish parts with a vibratory tumbler, and this removes the small burr left by a milling cutter. If you can get milling cutters only slightly larger than the holes that you have drilled, and get satisfactorily aligned again, you may be able to repair this part.

Look at the deburr tools made by Shaviv. They have blades such as E300 that are designed to deburr both sides of a hole in sheet metal, when applied from just one side. But I think that your holes are perhaps too small for effective use of the tool.
Dave
dave49

Re: Drill holes

Postby eclecticguy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:57 pm

You can also deburr these holes with a small countersink tool by handholding it. I cut the shaft down on one so it fits between the spool plates and simply spin it between my fingertips.

More recently, I purchased a special "back countersink" tool. I don't have the issue with burrs since I CNC interpolate these holes there is no burr from a plunging operation, but I did need the back countersink to countersink the screw hole for the handle spindle. These work very well and can put a nice chamfer on the hole too.

regards,
Michael
My blog: www.EclecticGuy.com
The Reelsmith's Primer, reelsmithing materials, reels, lines and other items: www.EclecticAngler.com
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Return to Tools & Techniques