Have You Brazed Alum or Copper?

Discuss tools and how to use them here.

Have You Brazed Alum or Copper?

Postby BungalowBob » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:23 pm

Reading posts in other forums it sounds like brazing aluminum or copper is pretty easy. I have a small oxy torch that can do the job but am confused by the variety of brazing rods, fluxes, pastes etc that I could use some advice.

I am thinking about making a two piece reel foot brazed together. And the 6061 alum we mostly use. Any advice?

Thanks,
BungalowBob
robert.snare@earthlink.net
BungalowBob

Re: Have You Brazed Alum or Copper?

Postby eclecticguy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:13 pm

I've brazed nickel silver and brass but not copper or aluminum. I'd be very interested in what you find out about aluminum brazing. Seems easy enough to try! I know that welding aluminum requires an inert atmosphere to prevent oxidation. I found this Instructable article. It tells where to get the brazing rods - Harbor Freight of all places!

cheers,
Michael
My blog: www.EclecticGuy.com
The Reelsmith's Primer, reelsmithing materials, reels, lines and other items: www.EclecticAngler.com
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Postby BungalowBob » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:29 pm

I did a bit of research about aluminum brazing, soldering and welding with a gas torch. I have a BernzOmatic oxy set.

First the most common search result is for the aluminum rod sold on the TV. And youtube with the short video demo. BTW their demo is speeded up apparently. Supposed to take a lot longer to do. Results are pretty much as they describe but their welding rod is extremely hard. And a bear to grind smooth. If that doesn't bother you it probably works.

But for my use the joint is visible and should be blended and finished like the other reel parts. So:

Secondly I found this great tech site that deals in detail about aluminum brazing & welding.
https://www.tinmantech.com/html/brazing_soldering.php

Their Aero Solder Kit for aluminum, $35 complete
In early June we came up with a new solder for aluminum, Aero Solder, which flows and bonds very well and quite easily. 1100, 3003, and 6061 are perfect alloys, but stay away from 5000 series because the flux will not handle it. The flux is non-corrosive so no cleanup is required.

Beautiful, smooth joints just like copper pipe are possible, and it melts at 780F.

Kit contains 2 oz. of flux and 42" of solder wire. It will also join copper to aluminum. Ideal for radiator repairs because it flows or sweats all the way around behind the backside and then runs through the gap and fillets on the underside! In 30 years I have never seen such a reliable product.

They also have aluminum brazing material that looks to be superior to HF.
https://www.tinmantech.com/html/brazing.php

Aero Braze Rod & Flux for Aluminum

With Aero Braze Rod and Flux package, you may join many types of fittings to tanks, using traditional aircraft technology. This oxy-acetylene torch process is a proven method and has been used for over 60 years in American aircraft production. - More Info -

Item # Description Price Qty
ABS-0062 Aero Brazing Rod & Flux Package $22.00

But the real surprise is their recommendation for torch welding aluminum. Which remains the best way to repair aluminum airplanes, autos etc. Who knew? They have a description of the technique used for decades and still used today.
https://www.tinmantech.com/html/aluminum_welding_article.php
The article includes aluminum types, best welding rod, techniques and much more. For you model builders or restorers there is also a book and DVD.

So far I haven't bought any materials and am sorting out design options for maybe reel feet, and other methods for building reel components. Rather than milling and cutting large chunks of alum into smaller chunks. I will keep you folks posted on my progress.

Note:
After working in a customs sheet metal fab shop for many years (cost accountant) I do recall when anodizing was called for, they cut thin strips of whatever alum alloy the project called for to avoid anodizing color mismatch. Std alum welding rods had other alloys in them which usually didn't match the final anodized color. Good tip.
BungalowBob

Postby BungalowBob » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:36 pm

Copper Brazing, Soldering:
For my question on copper brazing that is common in the building trades, cotter roofing, gutters etc. Lots of materials about that on the net.

Brass soldering and Brazing
Ditto. Lots of supplies out there. Some jewelry suppliers have silver solders that will more closely math the color of brass but pretty spendy and specialized uses. See [url]riogrande.com[/url] for that.

I bought a jewelers saw, bench pins and saw blades from them. Lots of stuff to look at for design ideas and materials. :)
Good Luck Guys.....
BungalowBob
BungalowBob

Postby eclecticguy » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:00 pm

Thanks Bob, some great information there! Keep me busy reading for awhile.

Cheers,
Michael
My blog: www.EclecticGuy.com
The Reelsmith's Primer, reelsmithing materials, reels, lines and other items: www.EclecticAngler.com
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Postby kermit » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:57 am

https://www.muggyweld.com/ For aluminum, I have used this with great success. Contact me if you want to talk about it.
kermit

Return to Tools & Techniques