Milling Machine?

Discuss tools and how to use them here.

Milling Machine?

Postby RJD » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:38 pm

I have been entertaining the idea of purchasing a milling machine for quite some time. I was initially leaning towards Micro-Mark's MicroLux, but recently have considered Little Machine Shop's HiTorque. However, the shipping (around $200) for the HiTorque would put the price around $1,000. I could buy a larger mill from Grizzly shipped for around $1,000. Furthermore, a larger mill would potentially be a better investment in the long run anyway. I would probably outgrow a mini-mill like I have with my mini-lathe. Any opinions on Grizzly's mills such as their G0704 model? Thanks.

Ron
Last edited by RJD on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
RJD

Re: Milling Machine?

Postby 432taylor » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:27 am

i would go for the larger grizzly if you can aford it get a rotery table that fill fit your needs and the mill good luck
Richard Westerfield
432taylor

Postby eclecticguy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:14 pm

Ron, I have the Micromark mini mill. I converted it to CNC and love it. It is a very capable machine. I also have a Grizzly G0704 mill. It is a brute! I will be converting it to CNC soon. I use these machines to make the parts for my reel kits so they get a lot of use.

For lathes, I have the Micromark mini lathe and the Grizzly G0602 - I that the one y meant? It is a great machine, high quality and quite massive. It is my go-to lathe now. You can't go wrong with it.

Cheers,
Michael
My blog: www.EclecticGuy.com
The Reelsmith's Primer, reelsmithing materials, reels, lines and other items: www.EclecticAngler.com
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Postby RJD » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:22 pm

I have a 7 x 12 lathe, and now regret not purchasing a larger setup. The mill from LMS has a following on various forums, but $1,000 shipped seems expensive to me for the size. Grizzly ships via freight, so you are responsible for unloading it. Michael, did you opt for liftgate service? The G0704 shipping weight is 290 lbs.

Ron
RJD

Postby eclecticguy » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:49 pm

Yes, lift gate service! And it was delivered in January with a big snow the day before. It was a major PIA to keep my driveway cleared for the delivery. The lathe is massive and just moving it down to my shop was an experience. You can read about how I uncrated, broke in and moved the lathe here: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/878923-post51.html Read all the posts after #51 too. There is some info on my big mill too.

I am still confused as to whether you are looking for a mill or lathe though!

G0602 is the big 10x22 Grizzly lathe

G0704 is the big Grizzly mill. Check out the CNCZone for more info about both.

cheers,
Michael
The Reelsmith's Primer, reelsmithing materials, reels, lines and other items: www.EclecticAngler.com
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Postby RJD » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:55 pm

I am currently just looking for a mill, but will eventually upgrade my lathe. Thanks for the link. The G0704 seems like a nice mill for the price.

Ron
RJD

Postby eclecticguy » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:48 pm

It really is well made and a workhorse. You'll love it.

cheers,
Michael
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Postby RJD » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:05 pm

Michael, did you convert your G0704 mill into a CNC setup like the Micro Mark X2? Grizzly finally has the G0704 in stock again (they seem to be selling rather well), so I probably will be pulling the trigger. Now that you have owned the mill for awhile, have you had any problems with it, noticed any limitations, or design issues?

Ron
RJD

Postby eclecticguy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:02 pm

Ron, I did convert my G0704 to CNC and love it. Here's my build thread on CNCZone: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop_ ... x2-22.html

The only negative is the plastic gears in the head. If you convert to belt drive it is non issue. Otherwise, they can be replaced with steel for cheap. The Griz is a great machine with power to plow through almost anything.

I'd take the G0704 over a mini mill any day!

Cheers
Michael
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Postby RJD » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:29 pm

Michael. What size vise and rotary table would you suggest, and any particular brands? I seems that most people recommend 4" versions. Thanks.

Ron
RJD

Next

Return to Tools & Techniques