Looking for indexer plans or ideas

Discuss tools and how to use them here.

Looking for indexer plans or ideas

Postby fishketcha » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:32 pm

Hi Folks,
I've been thinking that an indexing tool would make my reelsmithing easier. Does anyone use an indexer or has anyone ever made one? Are there any plans available? Does anyone have an idea on materials to use or the lock mechanism? Any help would be grateful. Thanks, wayne
fishketcha

Re: Looking for indexer plans or ideas

Postby 432taylor » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:24 am

look under" Reference Material & Information" there you will find Reel Foot Pillar Location Calculator i think this will help you. i use a rotay table as for makeing a indexer i dont know of any being made on this site i may be wrong i cant be shur what type of indexer are you looking for? what are you useing it for?
thank you
Richard Westerfield
432taylor

Postby eclecticguy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:43 am

Hi fishketcha, got your "hello" message at the Arts of the Angler show. Thanks! Hello back.

As for indexers, a number of us do use them. Making them can be easy to complex depending on what your requirements are. Let us know what you are planning to use it for and how. Here is a Simple Dividing Head that could be used or modified for other uses.

cheers,
Michael
My blog: www.EclecticGuy.com
The Reelsmith's Primer, reelsmithing materials, reels, lines and other items: www.EclecticAngler.com
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Postby fishketcha » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:24 pm

Hi Michael, Thank you both for the replies.

I would like an indexer to make the holes in the reel side plates more accurate and uniform. The diagrams are a great reference but I still find it challenging to stay on the mark even with a finely tuned drill press. The dividing head that you posted is a great addition but a little too complex for what I need at this time. I would like a horizontal table to use with my drill press instead of the lathe. Does this make sense?

Wayne
fishketcha

Postby eclecticguy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:09 pm

Yup, that makes sense.

So, there are several approaches.

1. A completely generic approach that would allow you to layout any hole pattern would be a rotary table. Of course, these are reasonable expensive.
  2. A spin indexer could be modified to work horizontally too and would give 1° precision. These take 5C collets but could be modified to attach a round plate for holding the work.
  3. A simple, dedicated indexer that uses a paper template. I used one of these for a while to drill the pillar holes and porting. It is simply a piece of 3/4" plywood, 5"x5" with a 1/4" brass rod (about 1/2" long) in the center to align it with the drill. Simply chuck the brass rod and lower the fixture to the the drill press' table. Then, clamp the fixture to the table. Now the fixture is aligned with the centerline of the chuck. Now, another piece of plywood - circle or square about 4" diameter - with a 1/4" hole drilled in it is placed over the brass rod. Now rod acts as a pivot for this table to rotate around. The part can be clamped or even taped with double sided tape to this rotating platform. If the part needs to be aligned on a pre-existing center, the rotating table can have a small rod concentric with its center hole. This works for side plates and the back plate because they have center holes. For the rings, you need to figure out another way to align. You could drill the holes first and use the same setup to scribe the ring to cut or you could make a large round "washer" out of plywood that fits the inner diameter of the ring. This washer could have a 1/4 hole for an extended brass rod to engage. The ring would then be slipped over this washer and would be properly aligned on center. We're talking tolerances of a few thous here - depending on how carefully you make these parts. That is more than enough accuracy for this work. Then, print out and position this template:
    Indexer.pdf
    (26.29 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
    on the rotating platform. You can then make a little arrow to help align as you rotate it. It can be this simple. If you want to make it more repeatable, you could cut notches or drill holes that can be engaged at the precise place each time.

Let me know if you need more info. I gave mine to someone and don't have any photos. Might make a good Tip in an upcoming newsletter!

cheers,
Michael
My blog: www.EclecticGuy.com
The Reelsmith's Primer, reelsmithing materials, reels, lines and other items: www.EclecticAngler.com
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Postby fishketcha » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:52 am

Thank you Michael. I will give that a try.
fishketcha

Return to Tools & Techniques