Disc Drag assembly

Discuss tools and how to use them here.

Disc Drag assembly

Postby nicmorris » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:25 am

im very very new to reel smithing and would like to know if anyone had any drawn plans of how to put together a cork drag assembly if you were to make one for a reel and also do people use a one way bearing one their reels??

P.S might not make any sense but thats how i imagined it working in my head as i couldnt find any designs on the internet

Cheers
Nic
nicmorris

Re: Disc Drag assembly

Postby caneyscud » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:17 am

Nic, welcome to the forum, Mike (the owner of the forum) would normally answer a question such as this. Apparently he is on vacation or otherwise away from a computer. Recently in response to a similar question, he directed me to a reel making book by John Betts. Luckily it is free and can be found here http://reelsmithing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=469 . I have only recently started reading it and have not gotten any drawings or information about drags. Another source would be to look for patents on reels and drags. I’m pretty sure he and Betts and others find and look over old patents.
caneyscud

Re: Disc Drag assembly

Postby eclecticguy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:45 am

Hey Nic, I just returned from a 2 week backpacking trip to Philmont in New Mexico with my son's Boy Scout Troop. John Betts' book (which I am publishing and a paper book version will be available later this year) has some good info. For a simple friction drag and click drag, check out posts here on the forum. Drawings for a click drag are also available in the January issue of The Eclectic Angler newsletter.

Another member here posted photos of his cork drag mechanism that might be helpful too. Search for "cork drag".

cheers,
Michael
My blog: www.EclecticGuy.com
The Reelsmith's Primer, reelsmithing materials, reels, lines and other items: www.EclecticAngler.com
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Return to Tools & Techniques