Pine Vice a 71 gauge drill

Discuss tools and how to use them here.

Pine Vice a 71 gauge drill

Postby pabix » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:46 pm

Have to admit this one is causing me a lot of trouble. I can't even get the drill to penetrate template that is glued to the disc. when I tried to apply some pressure I broke the drill. I only had one so now I have to wait until I can get some 71 gauge drills. I am thinking that I should just cut it out and make a spool plate with some extra brass or some other material. What is everyone doing to complete this step. I must be doing something wrong
Bill Bixler
pabix

Re: Pine Vice a 71 gauge drill

Postby eclecticguy » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:04 pm

pabix, these little drills are delicate and take a light touch. Use a pin vice (I think your title had a typo). Do not apply a lot of pressure. The "trick" is to rotate the drill in the pin vice between your thumb and middle finger back and forth. Your index finger is on the top of the pin vise and applies VERY LIGHT pressure. The drill only cuts when it is rotating clockwise, so with a little practice, that is when you apply just a touch of pressure with your index finger. It takes a minute or two so be patient.

Let us know how you make you. I'll see if I can shoot a short video this weekend to show this.

cheers,
Michael
My blog: www.EclecticGuy.com
The Reelsmith's Primer, reelsmithing materials, reels, lines and other items: www.EclecticAngler.com
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Postby pabix » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:32 am

Michael,
Yes you are right PIN VICE sorry...old age, poor eyesight, too fast typing, no proofreading, my fault. All steps have been going fairly well until this one. Still haven't cut it out but I prepared the two spool plates anyway with some extra brass.....So one way or another I am going to hack this out of the ring. I would like to do it "according to the book". As a benchmark, just how long should it take to pierce the brass with this set up?
Bill Bixler
pabix

Postby pabix » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:06 am

Ok finally got through...now I have to figure out the jewelers saw..we'll see how this works out later today.
Bill Bixler
pabix

Postby eclecticguy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:59 am

That's great Bill. It does take a minute or two to pierce the brass. Once you've done it a few times you develop a touch. It is very much like using a "sensitive drill" on a drill press.

I'd recommend a magnifying head set when you cut the disks with the jeweler's saw. My eyes are so-so too and with the headset I can stay in the middle of the printed line with the saw blade. Makes all the difference.

cheers,
Michael
My blog: www.EclecticGuy.com
The Reelsmith's Primer, reelsmithing materials, reels, lines and other items: www.EclecticAngler.com
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Return to Tools & Techniques