Screw Thread Sizes

Useful charts, conversions, links, and other information.

Screw Thread Sizes

Postby Baithound » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:35 am

I have noticed Micheal's reel kits are sold widely enough that the screw threads used can vary based on local availability. It is easy to find a suitable substitute when you are building it, with a bit of research. I have noticed strange threads used on old reels and it is sometimes hard to identify them.

When I build a reel I use old obsolete thread sizes, the ones the reelsmith had to work with before about 1910. This means making screws and nuts, but that is what the early builders did. It makes my reels unique in another way.

One problem with early threads, on old reels, is identifying them before repair or replacement can be performed. So many variables are possible, including the fact that the threading tools in an early reel shop may be for clock repair, or they may have been imported. With these and many other possibilities, some of the threads one encounters may be considered nonstandard.

My research has included practically every screw thread used from around 1800 to about 1950. I found several old references including the first printing of Machinery's Screw Thread book, many early threading tool catalogs, and machining books to work from. The books were lost in a fire and a couple may have been the only copies available. The good news is I already created a size chart from them with over 2000 individual thread sizes and types. Every dimension found was recorded and where possible it has been verified by other sources. Well this chart is about 40 pages long and seems like a blob of boring material but it is handy when you want a suitable sized replacement, or to identify weird threads.

My point here is if anyone can use this chart I will email a copy to anyone that would like it. I don't think a reelsmith would need the whole chart because it includes screw sizes from about 0.010" to over 10". I am going to trim some of the smaller and larger sizes so it is reasonable sized, but if you want the whole thing let me know. The chart is just a text file.

Baithound/Peter
Baithound

Re: Screw Thread Sizes

Postby 432taylor » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:31 pm

i for one wolud a email of the chart
thank you
richard westerfield
432taylor

Postby eclecticguy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:22 am

Peter, I'm not sure what you are referring to in your first two sentences:
"I have noticed Micheal's reel kits are sold widely enough that the screw threads used can vary based on local availability. It is easy to find a suitable substitute when you are building it, with a bit of research."

The kits ship with all required screws that I source from industrial screw suppliers. All metal parts are tapped to match. The Delrin hubs are tapped with a supplied thread cutting screw. There is no reason to find a substitute for screws. With over 1000 kits sold all over the world, not one has had an issue with screws. I even include a couple of extra screws in case of loss or damage. I suspect you were trying to make a point but I'm not sure what it was!

regards,
Michael
My blog: www.EclecticGuy.com
The Reelsmith's Primer, reelsmithing materials, reels, lines and other items: www.EclecticAngler.com
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Postby Baithound » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:12 pm

Michael,

Sorry about the wording. I noticed a post or 2 where people were looking for a similar sized screws that you provide, but metric. Probably they were trying to build without your kit, but wanted to source local fasteners of similar size. You know the standard metric stuff, not those freak American sizes.

Thanks for moving this post to the right thread also.

Here is a strange thread fact:
The screw thread in India was developed as a left hand thread and stayed that way until around 1900. It seems odd that only one place in the world developed left hand threads as a convention.

Baithound
Baithound

Postby eclecticguy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:17 pm

Ah, yes, that makes sense. They were building a reel from scratch using my book The Reelsmith's Primer. It obviously doesn't come with screws :)

That is very odd and interesting about Indian threads! I always assumed that threads were right handed globally because humans are predominately right handed and "screwing in" is more natural with a right handed thread. I wonder if some societies/cultures are not right hand predominant?

regards,
Michael
My blog: www.EclecticGuy.com
The Reelsmith's Primer, reelsmithing materials, reels, lines and other items: www.EclecticAngler.com
eclecticguy
Site Admin

Postby Baithound » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:01 pm

Sorry again Michael, Yes, I was thinking about your book plans, but said kits...

I can only imagine trying to change over from a left handed thread standard, to a right handed one... Probably lots of fasteners were stripped or broken...

Baithound
Baithound

Return to Reference Material & Information